I've been wanting to make Jay-R the Filipino spaghetti recipe I found online but I haven't had a chance to go to the Asian grocery store to get banana ketchup. The store is 35 minutes away and working full-time doesn't allow much free time. So, I improvised a little. The spaghetti sauce in the Philippines is sweet so I bought Sweet Tomato Basil spaghetti sauce and added some brown sugar. Then, I added cut up hotdogs which are also in Filipino spaghetti. Jay-R completely cleaned his plate and told me two or three times that he loved the spaghetti and it tasted like White Cross (his orphanage) spaghetti.
On another note, Ashleigh is staying at her grandparents all week and attending a day soccer camp. I just talked to her and she sounds pretty tired. She didn't want to leave her brother for a week. And last night, he went to bed crying for his sister. Those two may argue, but they completely love each other. He looks up to his Ate and she loves helping him and showing him new things. It is a challenge dividing time between two kids 6 years apart in age, but it is such a blessing watching the two of them bond. I have a close relationship with my sister and it is my hope that the two of them stay close as they grow up.
4 comments:
Great job on the spaghetti, all that matters is that he loves it!! I'm so happy to hear that they have bonded so well. Our boys are 12 and 7 and they really miss each other so much when they are apart.
That spaghetti sure sounds good. I add splenda to everything including my spaghetti sauce and even on the lettuce in my salad!! Crazy I know! I've never heard of banana ketchup. What exactly is it?
It must be so wonderful watching your children form such a special bond. Enjoy your alone time this week with Jay-R. I'm sure that he loves having you all to himself!
It sounds like you hit it right on with the spaghetti! I'll have to try this recipe :0)
I agree with Renee, although Jay-R misses his Ate, I'm sure he's also enjoying his special time alone with you!
Banana ketchup is ketchup made with bananas...it's sweeter. It's used a lot in the Philippies. Also, my co-worker told me that next time to use white sugar instead of brown sugar so I will try that next time. She said it will give it another taste. They like things sweet! Which makes me smile because almost every picture of Jay-R in his memory book from the orphanage is of him eating something sweet!
Post a Comment