The story of one family blessed by the joys of adoption...
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Sweet Ending to a Rough Day
Today wasn't exactly the best day since we've been home. I still am not feeling 100 percent and I don't think Jay-R was feeling all that great either. Neither one of us ended up sleeping that well. He was up before 7 this morning. We went to storytime at the library this morning. He was shy which is to be expected...we've only been home a little over a week. He enjoyed playing on the little childrens' computers in the children section of the library. I don't think he has probably ever been on a computer. The little mouse for the computer is tiny so it fits his little hand. He played some matching, counting, and alphabet games and did really well after I showed him what to do. He catches on fast. It was after lunch, the meltdown began. He was upset about his fruit being thrown in the sink...mind you he had already thrown it in the sink and had no intention of eating it. He was one unhappy little boy. The meltdown ended in a 2 hour nap for him which he needed...I could tell he was tired. Later he was upset because I wouldn't pick him up when he wanted picked up....I've been carrying him all day and I needed to take a quick restroom break!!! So, that set off the start to another meltdown. Basically, he just wasn't real happy today. When Ate Ashleigh came home from school, he seemed happier and enjoyed interacting with her. We played some games after dinner as we awaited our visitors. Tonight, a Filipino exchange student, the coordinator, and another exchange student from Mongolia visited. Jay-R was thrilled with the gifts they brought and the cake. He was slow to warm up as usual when meeting new people but once he warmed up, he began talking up a storm. He chatted in tagalog back and forth with the exchange student. It was so good to hear them talking. He took her upstairs to his room and she read him a story in tagalog. He sang his song from the youtube video for them and then he sang some other songs in tagalog we found on youtube. He really needed this tonight. I know he misses his friends, his language, everything that is familiar to him. It has to be so hard and frustrating as a 5 year old to not know how to express what you are feeling or even to understand what you are feeling. I know the exchange student enjoyed interacting with him and using her language again. We plan to get together again. Right now I can hear Daddy reading stories to Jay-R and unfortunately, he doesn't sound too tired. Hopefully, bedtime isn't a fight but I think he is winding down from an evening he really enjoyed. It is so important to both of us that he maintain his culture, his sense of identity. That is who he is. He may be living in America now but he will always be a Filipino. We are hoping to host a Filipino exchange student in a couple of years, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am SO glad that you had a great ending to your day. How awesome to be able to bring someone in who could talk with Jay-R in Tagalog. Sounds like it was just what he needed. So impressed with the things you have set in place!!
Sounds like you have a very sweet smart little boy. I read (and also observed in a couple of cases) that often children do not necessarily want to speak with someone in their native tongue for fear that that person is there to bring them back. It does not sound like your little boy had that reaction at all. what a great gift you gave him.
Post a Comment