



Today was a really, really good day except that we were all exhausted and dealing with sore throats. Jay-R woke up at 12:30 last night and took forever to go back to sleep. I discovered he was itching his legs and further inspection, I found scratch marks on his little arms. The poor little guy had such dry skin probably from a combo of bubble baths and the furnace heat which he is not used to. I bought some good quality baby lotion and baby bubble bath for him and we see improvement already. After a failed attempt to get him back to sleep at 8 am, Kory and I decided to try very hard to not let him take a nap today. We played Play Doh, spent a long time at McDonald's play area (it was raining), visited his church so he could be familiar with it before we actually take him on Palm Sunday, took him to the doctor for his check-up, the park (it had stopped raining), and then the dinner and bath time routine. He was out by 7:45! We are all going to bed early tonight! He was happy today, very loving...he must have said, "I love you mommy" and "I love you daddy" a hundred times today. We had only the onset of meltdowns but he was easily diverted except he refused a bath tonight and would only allow a quick bath. I think he was beyond tired. He fell asleep during stories. Adoption is definitely a journey and each day we learn a little more about this amazing boy and ourselves, too. God is definitely the strength that gets us through the trying times along with the encouragement of others!
I am posting a few pictures. Jay-R loves to carry his Ate's umbrella. I told Kory I think it is something familiar to him. So many ladies carry umbrellas in the Philippines to shield themselves from heat so he has seen this before. The other pics are just silly pics of our family and then a pic from lunch today.
Okay, I have to get to bed. The advice, sleep when the baby sleeps also applies to newly adopted 5 year old boys, too!
4 comments:
Thank you so much for sharing every day. I just wanted to pass on the name of a lotion that my dermotologist just gave me for my eczema...Cetaphil. It is for dry, sensitive skin and I like it. Also, when you get a chance can you email me the name of the hotel you stayed in? It's sounds like it was really nice. Thanks. Julie
Hey Tammy! More lotion advice if you want it... Eze came home and started scratching at his elbows and hands to the point that they were bleeding. The Adoption Clinic we went to recommended using Eucerin or Cetaphil lotion (non-scented). So we stopped using the baby lotion and switched to that. We massage him with lotion every night before bed, and cut his baths down to 2 a week (it will go up to 3 in the summer for sure - sweaty boy). We haven't had an issue with him scratching himself since making the switch. He has a little humidifier in his room b/c his skin gets so dry. We're looking forward to the humid MN summer!!
Jay-R sounds like a real sweetie! I must be music to your ears each time he tells you he loves you. Those are the most magical words in the world! Good luck with the dry, itchy skin.
Tammy - He is so adorable!! I bet you are the happiest family right now. I can't wait to meet Jay-R. I bet you are so proud of Ashleigh for being so good to him.
On another note, we recieved our adoption approval yesterday. I'll keep you posted as we begin our search.
Post a Comment