Thursday, April 9, 2009

It's been a week...

This has been a week. I have been to the eye doctor, medical doctor, and dentist. Jay-R's eyes checked out A-Ok....he was hoping for glasses! So, I bought him Spiderman sunglasses today. His medical doctor visits went fine....he is healthy and received a clean bill of health. Dentist....well, that is another story. We have been referred to a pediatric dentist because he will need extensive dental work done...he has a lot of cavities! Jay-R was so brave at the dentist. He sat so still and allowed them to work on his mouth. The dental hygienst made a comment that he really trusts me because she noticed he kept looking at me for reassurance.

Everything is going well except for bedtimes. We have one good night and then four rough nights. Tonight, it took over 2 hours to get him to sleep. We tried rocking, laying with him, everything! It was so obvious that he was fighting sleep. I'm sure bedtimes are the hardest for him. The closest thing I can equate it to are my memories of summer camps and going to bed. That was when I would become sad and think of family and friends. He talks about White Cross a lot and his friends and I know there is grief there. The problem with bedtimes is that by then, we are tired and then the later he stays up, the later we all stay up. I am off work until June 1st so that gives us some time to try to figure out this bedtime. We try to stick to the same routine-pjs, brush teeth, stories, and prayers, but it is so hard to stick to the same time with an 11 year old daughter who is involved in so many other activities. We understand that he has never slept alone before so we try to be sensitive to this but we don't want to start the habit of him sleeping with us. So, for now, we just need lots of patience and prayer. Suggestions are welcome for any techniques, etc that you have tried with adopted and biological children. Our 11 daughter was not an easy sleeper either so we are somewhat experienced with this but it's been a few years.

Speaking of bedtime...I need to go there myself. We have family pictures tomorrow so hopefully Mr. Jay-R sleeps in late enough and is well rested!

Have a Happy, Blessed Easter to all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh. did he cry at the dentists?