Saturday, October 17, 2009

Mommy the Nurturer, Daddy the Protector...

I still wasn't feeling up to par Friday night, so I designated it as Family Movie Night minus Daddy who had to go to bed extra early to get up for work Saturday. With Jay-R's new fascination with hot chocolate, love of trains, and excitement for Christmas, we opted to watch Polar Express. He sat with his eyes glued to the TV. The ghost/hobo scenes scared him a little, but he cuddled with me which of course I loved. Towards the end of the movie, Ashleigh asked him an interesting question...
A: "So, Jay-R, if the Polar Express stops here to pick you up, are you going to get on?"
J: (some hesitation, wide eyes, and a soft voice) "Nooo."
A: "What are you going to do?"
J: (without any hesitation and much louder) "I'm gonna get my Daddy!"

Mommy the nurturer to cuddle with during the movie and Daddy the protector to save the day should the movie come to life! No, he's not scared of Santa, just the idea of being whisked away on a big train!

Oh, I can't wait to share Christmas traditions with him! I was researching directions on how to make Filipino Christmas star lanterns, parols, and found lots of different ideas, but they all call for bamboo pieces...does anyone know, can you get those at a craft store like Hobby Lobby? We want to incorporate parol making as part of our annual Christmas traditions.

4 comments:

Renee and Brian said...

I have not seen the Polar Express. Was it a good movie? It seems like the kids enjoyed it. I can't believe how quickly Christmas is approaching. It sounds like a fun idea to make some Filipino crafts. Good luck with that!

The dB family said...

The Polar Express is one of my favorite Christmas movies! I'm glad Jay-R enjoyed it too!

I'm not sure where you can get bamboo pieces, but Hobby Lobby sounds like a good place to start. You will have to post photos of your lanterns and parols! I would love to see them!

Blessings!
Deborah

emilie said...

i'm glad you're feeling better. love the idea of making parols, my dad used to do that when we were kids. do you have an Asian market nearby?--they may have bamboo reeds there. otherwise, I suppose sturdy slender longish pliable wood pieces might work. let me know if you find a good substitute.

Jenny said...

The Polar Express was one of my brother's favorite books when he was little. We have the DVD and book and like to read it closer to Christmas. It is a good movie! I am surprised that he didn't love the idea of the trains as most kids seem to be more afraid of Santa. :)