Friday, June 19, 2009

My $15,000 Surprise

I came home from work yesterday to a relatively quiet house minus one loud barking black lab. I had every intention of taking a nap. I knew I had about 45 minutes until Kory came home with the kids. (He takes them to my parents on Tuesday and Thursday before he goes to work). Routine led me to the mailbox first. I had a junk mail flyer and an insurance statement. Since Jay-R has been home and Kory was told he has 13 cavities, insurance statements in the mail are a common occurrence. We have decent insurance, so no big deal. I opened the insurance statement. For the hospital portion of Jay-R's surgery-supplies, operating room, and recovery room, it was over $15,000. You can imagine my surprise when the covered portion read: $0. My heart stopped beating for a moment. What!!?!!! I quick called the insurance and explained how we had been told insurance would cover this and it was medically necessary to have this procedure done in a hospital rather than the dentist. I was put on hold to listen to wonderful health facts. I did learn that more Americans suffer from eating disorders than Alzheimer's. That was interesting given my field of working with older adults. Anyway, the very nice, caring customer service rep came back to apologize to me and told me it was processed incorrectly and I would receive an updated statement in 7-10 days. That was an answer to prayer. Overall, his surgery cost was around $18,000. This shocks me to no end. I work in healthcare and I know things aren't cheap but I usually don't use healthcare services beyond a routine visit to the doctor or dentist. Kory's hernia surgery about 4 years ago was only around $7,000. Crazy...I understand how one health condition could drive a person into financial difficulties. If oral surgery is this much, I hate to guess what open heart surgery is! Really, I'm not complaining or fretting over the cost, don't get me wrong. He needed the surgery and he is so much better off because of it. I was just a little, okay a lot, shocked by that insurance statement. Needless to say, after that phone call, the last thing I wanted to do was nap. I chose to jump into our not so warm pool and enjoy a refreshing solo swim. That was exactly what I needed!

5 comments:

Renee and Brian said...

Wow, you heart must have nearly stopped beating when you read that form! Thank goodness it was all a mix up. Have a great weekend.

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness. I think I would have needed a cold splash after that too! Isn't insurance frustrating sometimes?? We had them tell us they'd cover our IUIs we did for infert, and then renegged on that offer and made us pay it all back to the insurance company. Urgh. So glad it all got worked out for you.

Julie said...

It sounds like you were at least calm when you talked to the customer service rep, for them to be nice back to you and all. I think I would have taken my surprise out on them and not have gotten such great service. I hope the new bill reads better. Enjoy your weekend.

Brenda K said...

Good to see you tonight too! I was all excited when reading the title I thought you won something! I was very surprised to read it was a bill! cough cough! My friends in Japan are listed under friends I follow as Smith's in Okinawa. Have fun! =)

Amber said...

Wow, is it that expensive?! $18,000for the oral surgery? It was a necessary procedure, and I know that you are in no way complaining about the costs...but I'm starting to see now how people can get into huge debt in the US over medical procedures!! It's very sad, and pretty scary...